Senior Micro-algal Scientist
Posted on 19/04/17
About the Company
AlgaeCytes is focused on developing and commercialising the next generation of bioactive ingredients from sustainable and environmentally-sound resources.
AlgaeCytes uses its unique algae technology in an integrated biorefining process to produce high-value algae based products, in particular omega-3 oils, polysaccharides and proteins, for the food, cosmetic and the pharmaceutical market.
We are seeking an energetic and organised Senior Micro-algal Scientist, you will be overseeing the R&D biology team developing and implementing the company’s research programme together with various external collaborative projects.
Main duties and responsibilities
• Oversee and be active in the Management of Biology staff and their deliverables in and out of the Laboratory
• Oversee the laboratories collection of microalgae and/or cyanobacteria cultures
• Sign off on the biology team’s laboratory notebooks
• Support in the preparation and maintenance of microalgal cultures for scale-up, up to Pilot Scale Photobioreactor Modules
• Responsible for running experiments with laboratory scale bioreactors and/or scaled PBR’s to cultivate microalgae/cyanobacteria - taking routine measurements using calibrated monitoring systems (pH, nutrient analysis, temperature etc)
• Assist to identify and characterise bioactive ingredients of interest, gather and present data that can be used for potential commercial scale up/exploitation
• Consistently demonstrating initiative in implementing project work and effectively designing, problem solving and conducting experiments
• Developing an understanding of company’s projects and how they affect the company’s business and products (Intellectual Property)
• Analysing and interpreting experimental data, then making appropriate recommendation
• Present data-supported conclusions in written and oral reports on progress to the Management team
• Work effectively in a multidisciplinary team to formulate and execute project research plans
• Working independently and flexibly to meet changing demands
• Assist in the implementation of the Laboratory Quality Management policy and procedures
• Ensure that all company policies and safety practices are followed
Skills and Qualifications
The ideal candidate requires a Ph.D. in Microbiology, Biochemistry, Biotechnology or similar field and preferably with relevant industry experience in micro algae and/or plants.
Consideration will also be given to BSc/MSc graduates with relevant industry experience.
The candidate must be able to work independently and flexibly and to adapt to changing priorities.
Disclaimer: the above job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by people assigned to this role and is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities.
AlgaeCytes Limited reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet business and organisational needs as necessary.
Send all enquiries to:
AlgaeCytes Limited Discovery Park House Ramsgate Road Sandwich Kent CT13 9ND
Tel: +44 (0)1304 897627
Salary will be in the range of £28-32K per annum and the closing date for applications is June 21 2017.
AlgaeCytes is based in state-of-the-art labs at Discovery Park, Sandwich, Kent, UK.
The world-class facilities have attracted a host of international companies from the life science, pharmaceutical, biotechnology, science and technology sectors.
It has helped to create an environment where emerging businesses, local universities and established organisations can interact.