Posted on 17/06/16
About the Company AlgaeCytes is focused on developing and commercialising the next generation of bioactive ingredients from sustainable and environmentally-sound resources. AlgaeCytes uses its unique algae technology in an integrated biorefining process to produce high-value algae based products, in particular omega-3 oils and proteins, for the food, cosmetic and the pharmaceutical market.
We are seeking an energetic Micro-algal Scientist, you will be supporting the R & D team developing and implementing the company’s research programme together with various external collaborative projects.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Manage the laboratories collection of microalgae and/or cyanobacteria cultures.
- Perform biological diagnostics of the microalgae cultures by microscopic observations and staining protocols.
- Support in the preparation and maintenance of microalgal cultures for scale-up, up to 1,000L bioreactors.
- Responsible for running experiments with laboratory scale bioreactors and/or scaled PBR’s to cultivate microalgae/cyanobacteria - taking routine measurements using calibrated monitoring systems (pH, nutrient analysis, temperature etc).
- Assist to identify and characterise bioactive ingredients of interest, gather and present data that can be used for potential commercial scale up.
- Consistently demonstrating initiative in implementing project work and effectively designing, problem solving and conducting experiments.
- Developing an understanding of company’s projects and how they affect the company’s business and products.
- Clear and timely communication of data.
- Analysing and interpreting experimental data, then making appropriate recommendations.
- Working effectively in a multidisciplinary team to formulate and execute project research plans.
- Working independently and flexibly to meet changing demands.
- Present data-supported conclusions in written and oral reports on progress.
- Ensure that all company policies and safety practices are followed.
Skills and Qualifications
The ideal candidate requires a BSc/MSc in Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Microbiology or similar field and preferably 1 to 3 years relevant industry experience in microalgae and/or plants. Ph.D students with relevant experience will be considered. Equivalent education and experience may be considered.
Must be able to work independently and flexibly and to adapt to changing priorities.
Disclaimer: Disclaimer: the above job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by people assigned to this role and is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. AlgaeCytes Limited reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet business and organisational needs as necessary.
Send all enquiries to:
AlgaeCytes Ltd Discovery Park House Ramsgate Road Sandwich Kent CT2 7NJ Tel: 01304-897627 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
AlgaeCytes is operating from Discovery Park in Sandwich, Kent (www.discovery-park.co.uk/) at its state of the art lab space at the former European HQ of Pfizer. The world class facilities have attracted a host of international companies from the life science, pharmaceutical, biotechnology, science and technology sectors. It has helped to create an environment where emerging businesses, local Universities and established organisations can interact.